by Melissa Schrotenboer
Running while on vacation, especially the type of vacation that involves a lot of lounging pool or beach-side with a never-ending supply of piña coladas, can be a real struggle. Don’t get me wrong vacation is a great time to relax and enjoy time with family and friends, but is also a great opportunity to explore new places and see new things. I’m going to share with you a few of my tips and tricks on how to enjoy your vacation and still get a run or two in.
- Focus more on having a run that is fun or at the very least scenic. I reveled in being able to run along the beach on a recent trip to Maui. It was absolutely beautiful and completely out of my ordinary running views.
- While it might be a little late for this year, it’s always helps to pick a resort that has a fitness center (if you’re the kind of runner who can put up with a treadmill for any length of time) or has paths for walking or running.
- Look for a local race where you’re vacationing. I usually look for 5ks because they are short and sweet and bonus if they come with a fun t-shirt from your vacation destination.
- If you are going someplace warm, plan your run for the morning when it is cooler and less busy. Or take advantage of your hotel/resort’s fitness center.
- Plan for your vacation in your training schedule – make it a lighter running week so that you can go on runs that are for fun and adventure.
- If you’re going with friends (or meet some new ones along the way), find a running buddy that can keep you accountable and also make you feel safer when running in a new environment.
Remember, you are on vacation, so these runs should be fun and enjoyable, not about fast paces, tempos or hills. Although, if you find a great hill while you are out there, you might as well dominate it!
Hey Gazelle Girls! My name is Melissa and I LOVE Running. I am an Assistant High School Cross Country Coach, Girls on the Run Coach and part-time fitness instructor. I have run a ton of 5ks, 10ks, a 15k, a number of half marathons, the Fifth Third River Bank Run a few times, and one Marathon so far. 2015 was my first Gazelle Girl 1/2 Marathon and I LOVED it. Keep Checking into to the Gazelle Girl blog for Inspiration, Training Tips, and all things Gazelle Girl.